Save three lives this Mandela Day

The South African National Blood Service (SANBS) will on Tuesday host blood donation sites at hundreds of locations all over South Africa to mark Nelson Mandela International Day. 

The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed Mandela’s birthday, 18 July, as Nelson Mandela International Day in 2009. The day calls on individuals to donate 67 minutes doing something for others, commemorating the 67 years that Mandela had been a part of the movement for liberation. 

Mandela Day is inspired by a call Madiba made for the next generation to take on the burden of leadership in addressing the world’s social injustices. 

SANBS National Marketing Manager, Silungile Mlambo, said the SANBS’s theme for Mandela Day is ‘It’s not just blood, it’s saving a nation’. 

“Every year on 18 July, people around the globe do their bit in support of Mandela Day to make the world a better place. But how many will be able to say they saved the lives of three people? You will be able to donate blood, if you visit any of our hundreds of Mandela Day sites around South Africa,” said Mlambo. 

By donating a unit of blood every eight weeks, Mlambo said blood donors will be living up to the ideal of Mandela Day by performing voluntary service throughout the year. 

“Every time they do, they are potentially saving the lives of three people. What better way to honour the life and service of Nelson Mandela. 

“If you want to make a difference on Mandela Day and you don’t know how, or you’re already doing something but you’d like to do more, visit one of our donation sites. Donation is quick and easy – and it’s a lifesaver,” said Mlambo. 

Donors can call the SANBS on 0800 11 9031, email customerservice@sanbs.org.za or click on http://bit.ly/NMD-Blood-donation-2017 to find their nearest donation site. – SAnews.gov.za

_____

Eskom refutes cash crisis media reports (News)

*

Eskom has refuted weekend reports stating that it is facing a cash crisis.

In a statement on Sunday, the power utility refuted the claims regarding its financial sustainability.

“Due to limitations around disclosing financial information before the official announcement, which is scheduled for Wednesday 19 July 2017, Eskom is not in a position to respond comprehensively to the specific issues raised at this stage.

“Having said this, Eskom refutes the notion that it is facing a cash crisis, and that it has only enough cash to last for the next three months,” said the utility.

The power utility said external auditors have confirmed Eskom as a going concern.

“As a result the company sees these reports as being inaccurate and misleading. It is important to reiterate that Eskom is not facing any liquidity challenges, and that the company is confident that it will maintain sufficient liquidity to support its operations,” it said.

Eskom also highlighted the following:

• The 2014/15 annual financial results stated an emphasis of matter in relation to its going concern, which was addressed and subsequently removed in the 2015/16 financial year.

• While Eskom’s financial position has always been supported by significant reliance on debt and borrowings, its improved overall financial and operational performance over the last two years has led to an improved balance sheet.

• Eskom also has sufficient government guarantees to execute its funding plan.

• Eskom has also maintained access to capital markets and raised committed funding.

“The details about Eskom’s operational and financial performance will be announced on Wednesday where members of the media and other key stakeholders have been invited.

“Eskom will continue to meet with a number of stakeholders ahead of releasing the results this week,” it said. – SAnews.gov.za

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *